Last night Steve and I were laughing about the things we got away with as kids, but our parents probably aren't aware of. Sometimes parents catch you in the act and occasionally appear to in fact have two eyes in the back of their head. But sometimes those eyes are legally blind. Here are two stories to illustrate my point.
One day I got really angry at my mom. I don't remember why, but I sure remember what I did. I got into the coat closet by the staircase and stood straight up inside my dad's trench coat. Because it was so long you couldn't see my legs. The point was to make my mom worry enough to think she was a bad mom, but not long enough to warrant calling the cops. So, I hear my mom asking my siblings where I was and then telling them to look. One of my sisters opened the closet and said, "No, she's not in here." I almost burst out laughing. After a good 10 minutes or so when I could tell no one was nearby I slipped out of the closet and pretended like I had been there the whole time.
Growing up my parents would literally lock the TV up if we were watching too much or if we all got into trouble. The entertainment center had two small handles that they slipped a chain through and put a padlock on. But we were motivated to figure out to bypass this system. At some point we realized that if we pulled the handles out there was enough give for me to slip my arm up and turn on the TV. Eventually, we got tired of having to hold open the doors while watching through the small crack and we soon discovered that we could push the entertainment system away from the wall and flip the TV around as there was no back to it. This maneuver required more time as it was heavy. We would wait until my mom would leave and then listen for the car to pull up so we could quickly push it back into place against the wall. To my knowledge she was not aware of it...until now.
And so to all you moms out there, Happy Mother's Day.
Good thing she doesn't lock up the TV anymore and I have my own computer or I would kill you for ratting us out.
ReplyDelete