A couple years ago my little sister kept pestering me about watching "Psych." I told her that I did not have any more room in my schedule for new shows. She then tried to convince me that if I would just give it a chance that I would love it. She brought it up for at least a year and then a few months after Steve and I got married I finally watched it....and then thought it was hilarious. It took me a month to get Steve to watch it. And now two years later I find myself not making plans for Saturday evening so that I can watch Psych re-runs on Ion Television.So, the thing I love about Psych is the references to 80s movies and shows. Also the occasional music video (as seen here). Why you ask? Because I have seen more of these movies than Steve might be comfortable letting me admit. There was this episode where Shawn and Gus are on a military base and Shawn says "I feel just like Michael Dudikoff." I could not stop laughing. Steve didn't really laugh, so I said, "Steve, it's so funny because it's just like American Ninja. Didn't you want that movie with me? It's an 80s ninja movie that my dad recorded on VHS." This was followed by, "No Megan. I never watched that with you." I was concerned about being judged by Steve, so I felt obligated to defend the fact that I knew who Michael Dudikoff was even though I think it might be just me and the cast of Psych. This is actually a normal occurrence and I make a case for why I know the things I know during at least half of the episodes (Random side note: one of the bad guys in American Ninja is also the neighbor Mr. Ochmonek from the series ALF, which I still watch courtesy of Hulu).
Now why am I telling you about the 80s? Because I loved this movie called "Legend" (with Tom Cruise in his younger buck teeth years) when I was a kid and used to always say, "This reminds me of Legend" when I watched something else. And then my sisters would tell me that I always thought that everything looked or sounded like it was from the movie and that it really didn't. BUT this week I was vindicated. We went to Snow White and the Huntsman this weekend (I'm not going to lie, I was rooting a little bit for the evil queen). There is this part where Snow White pets this white deer and then it gets shot JUST LIKE IN LEGEND. NO JOKE. So I leaned over to Steve and said, "That was just like Legend." And Steve agreed. YES!!! He initially thought I was talking about I Am Legend and thought that I crazy until I set the record straight. A little disclaimer here, if you did not see the movie early on in your life you should probably not watch it now. It will be a little weird. I know this because I made Steve watch it with me (also on a VHS tape), but before he watched he asked me what it was about. My response when something like this: "It's about these magic unicorns and these evil goblins chop off the horn so they can have power to rule the world." About the time I said "unicorn" Steve's face looked a little like I should be glad that we were already married so that he couldn't change his mind. He says he wasn't judging me, but we both know he was.

Even though, I watched American Ninja much more than I am comfortable in admitting, I still did not get the reference to Michael Dudikoff. What does that say about me or what does that say about you? Jokes. And yes, I do remember your obsession with Legend, but I that's okay, I won't judge you because I liked it too.
ReplyDelete