So, I became a substitute teacher back in September when I couldn't find a job after relocating to Texas. Fourth and fifth grade are usually my favorites, but every once in awhile I will accept a kindergarten or first grade job if nothing else is available. This past Friday I decided to go back to a kindergarten class that I had taught about a month before knowing that there are some students who can be quite the handful. Much to my surprise, the behavior of one student had worsened significantly in that past month. Let's be honest, what kind of kindergartener ends up in ISS (in-school suspension)? Well my friends, this one.
The principal had already paid us a visit to let him know that he needed to make good choices, otherwise, it was back to the "cooler." Well, he decided to tell a student he hated her and when I told him that was not a nice thing to say in school he grabbed my arms and proceeded to yell in my face in hopes that it would convince me of his argument (keep in mind that this student is the size of a fourth grader and is at LEAST two-thirds my size). He wouldn't let go of my arms and tried to rip the phone out of my hands while I tried to call the office. When that didn't work he kept pushing buttons on the phone until I gave up and used the emergency button to call the office. For some reason, he thought it would be a good idea to cover my mouth (as if that would really keep me from telling the principal), but instead he hit me in the face. Needless to say, he was dragged literally kicking and screaming from the classroom by not only the vice principal, but also the principal. His teacher and mother received lovely detailed notes about the encounter. And I decided I will beat my future-children's bottoms if they ever do that. The end.
Holy smokes, that really sounds like it might be worse than Tomesti! Although you probably LIKED the Tomesti kids a little more, which makes it more bearable... :)
ReplyDeleteWhhaa haa haa! I think a new show is in order, "Are you stronger than a kindergartener?" Jokes. I'm not laughing about you being boxed by the student more so the picture I have in my head of him covering your mouth to keep you from talking. It sounds so Jack Bowerish, in a way.
ReplyDeleteMegan! That is so sad...and funny...but mostly sad. I've never had any problems that bad in a class (you can read my funnier experiences on http://kindergartenphilosophies.blogspot.com even though it's from last year). Bless your heart, stick with the older kids!
ReplyDeleteOh, and I'm glad you're blogging :) I like keeping up with friends on here!
Jess, yes it sort of was like Tomesti minus the fact that this student couldn't blame it on autism. And Krusty, I hate to say it, but kindergartners are mutants because they are bigger than they used to be. Also, it would have been nice if Jack Bauer had intervened on my behalf. Chels, I agree. Older kids it is.
ReplyDeleteCraziness! With all of these children gone wild encounters you may just decide not to have any of your own children to beat:) I hope not, though! Miss you guys!
ReplyDelete