Sunday, September 6, 2015

January Charleston Trip

About 8 months ago, a couple of Steve's siblings came out to visit us in Spartanburg, SC and by Spartanburg, I mean Charleston because there is NOTHING in Spartanburg. Really, not even a Chili's. And apparently it is nicknamed "Murderburg," which Steve failed to mention before he moved us cross-country for his intern year AND he didn't even tell me until we moved to Georgia 2 months ago.

Steve's siblings kept saying that they wanted to come visit us and really they should have come when we lived outside of Austin because we had the best restaurants and there was actually good stuff to see, but as it turns out we could not make a compelling case to convince anyone other than his parents to come out and visit us. In fact, the only time one of them did go to Texas was while we were in Utah and they went to a friend's grandmother's birthday party (as in they never met this grandmother before). Anyway, I'll be honest, I did not believe that his siblings would actually follow through because the Glenn family is not known for decisiveness and follow through. True story, several years ago after I thought we had decided on a movie to see while visiting in Utah, there was still disagreement ON OUR WAY TO THE MOVIE about whether we should see another movie playing at a completely different time than when we were driving to the theater. Even after 5 1/2 years of marriage I still have to tell Steve I'm leaving out the door without him.

When they booked their tickets I was genuinely surprised....and then I panicked because I realized we made zero plans because I didn't even think they would come. So we ended up in Charleston in January. Steve's sister, Julie, really wanted to go on a plantation tour, but since it was winter everything was dead. The tour guide was some weird lady (because let's be honest, only weird people are tour guides) who kept emphasizing that this plantation was focused on preservation instead of restoration. Translation: old Civil war era, drafty dump. And I really mean that. There was goose crap EVERYWHERE. The creepiest part of the tour was when we were trying to find the slave graveyard and we kept stepping in these big indentations in the ground only to find out that those were the graves and the caskets had been crushed over time. So I'm pretty sure we have all been cursed.

Me, judging the tour guide for making us wear name tags
Steve pretending to take of picture of his sister Jodie, but really he's creeping on DAN MARINO
Contemplating what it would look like if the roof caved in and we were crushed to death since they didn't want to "restore" anything
Why is Tyler hanging out at the pond by himself?
Me and Steve at the beach when it was 50 degrees outside
We went on a walk on Rainbow Row that had these colorful houses along the waterfront complete with a rich man dressing himself in a tuxedo for the evening (in a non-Peeping Tom sort of way). And apparently they are equally as hoity-toity with their fountains.


No comments:

Post a Comment