Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Day the Elephant Died

Yes folks, it's true. One of the elephants died while we were at the circus on Friday. Talk about traumatizing. Just kidding. It didn't die, but it was lying on the ground so that one of the other elephants could sit on it, so it may as well be dead. Steve and I had never been to a circus before, so when it came to College Station this week we decided to go. And I decided that "carnies" really are weird people. If one of our future children told us as an adult that joining the circus was their life dream I would die a little inside. Actually, a lot.

Our favorite part was watching the trained cats and dogs to tricks. Mostly because we like to believe we have "trained" the beast formerly know as Charlie to perform. For quite some time we have been teaching Charlie to walk backwards on his hind legs when we are bringing him food, so we were thinking about sending him to the circus so he can make money for us (at least until Steve becomes a breadwinner). That way I can quit substitute teaching and enjoy a life of leisure.

The one disappointment I had was that there was no lion or tiger. How can you be the greatest show on earth without one?! Have people really lowered their circus standards so low that they no longer see the need for an animal that could tear you like a paper shredder if he wanted? I was hoping them closing the show was just a fake-out for an encore to bring out the lion, so I made Steve stay in our seats. And we got nothin'! It really was the end of the show. I wanted to see the ringmaster stick his head inside his mouth. So either all the children's books I read growing up were a lie or this guy was a fake. I vote the latter.

And so the moral of the story is Barnum and Bailey is not the greatest show on earth, Disneyland/world is/are not the happiest places on earth and beef is not what is for dinner. What a crock.

1 comment:

  1. I love you. I love this blog. You make my heart happy. Wish we could live close and be married buddies.

    ReplyDelete